VI PER Gallery announces an international open call for exhibition projects. The winning proposal will be realized at VI PER in late 2021.
VI PER Gallery based in Prague, Czech Republic, is a non-profit institution focused on architecture in the broadest sense, together with its relations and points of intersection with contemporary art, urbanism, design, and media, as well as the political, legal, social, economic, ecological, and spatial contexts, which help to shape architecture and the built environment.
The call is opened for architects, artists, designers, researchers, curators, critics (induviduals or teams) of any nationality and country of residence. Submitted projects may fall into a wide range of genres – associated with architecture, art, design, and other disciplines – and should reflect on the relevance of architecture to respond to contemporary issues and discourse. We welcome original projects that demonstrate new and innovative ideas, critical and experimental approach, and independent thinking.
The applicant should be capable of conducting research and developing an original vision and coherent curatorial narrative as well as an integrated curatorial and exhibition design proposal. The projects should clearly describe their goals, timeframe, budget, etc. The jury will consider proposals that explore a variety of design and urban-related topics.
The projects may react to the context of the exhibition space by their installation. With regard to the exhibition space dimensions, we recommend to submit projects for thematic exhibitions or works by a smaller number of participants. Proposals will be reviewed by the international jury.
The exhibition curator and/or exhibiting artist should make their appearance within the related events program.
This open call is the second one that VI PER Gallery has announced. The results of 2018 open call can be found here: http://www.vipergallery.org/en/blog/post/open-call-results.
Basic information about the exhibition space:
The gallery consists of three rooms. One is used as a bookshop, the two others, a bigger main space and a smaller side room, can both be used for the exhibition. The exhibition can potentially expand into the bookstore. The side room may be used for a smaller installations, a video projection, etc. The dimensions of the central space are approximately 8.8 × 5.7 × 3.3 m. For details see the floorplan.
VI PER offers:
• basic installation assistance
• limited financial coverage (currently not exceeding EUR 6,000), which will cover materials, fabrications, installation, transport, honorariums / participants fee, travel costs, etc.
• graphic design and printing of exhibition posters and brochures
• printing of curatorial texts describing the exhibition in both Czech and English, including translation
• PR (press release, social networks, newsletters, etc.)
• photo-documentation of the exhibition (installation)
• exhibition opening (catering, service, sound)
• keeping the exhibition open for the public in gallery opening hours
In case of financially demanding projects, we recommend artists or curators to seek for individual grant support.
The application must contain:
• project abstract (max. 150 words, written in the present tense)
• detail project description (max. 1,000 words, written in the present tense) and visualization or visual documentation of the project (max. 5 pages); the description should include name of the author, title of the project and contact details
• a short description of suggested related events program such as discussions, lectures, workshops, etc.
• biography for project author and/or participant(s) (max. 150 words per person, written in the third person)
• work plan, project timeline, budget proposal
• all materials should be submitted in English as one PDF file (max. size 5 MB), please use this file naming convention: “Applicantʼs name_Title” (e.g. Nelson Peter_Architecture)
• applicants must submit all materials, incomplete and late applications (and applications that didn’t conform to instructions) will not be considered
• all applications must be submitted in English
Davide Tommaso Ferrando – architecture critic, researcher, and curator, research fellow at the Faculty of Design and Art, Free University of Bozen-Bolzano, co-curator of Unfolding Pavilion, and director of Vice Versa Magazine
Samia Henni – historian, theorist, educator, and curator, author of Architecture of Counterrevolution: The French Army in Northern Algeria (2017), Assistant Professor at the Department of Architecture, College of Architecture, Art and Planning, Cornell University
Johnny Leya – architect and urban planner, co-founder of Traumnovelle, and one of the curators of Eurotopie, Belgian Pavilion at the 16th Venice Architecture Biennale 2018
Monika Platzer – curator and head of special collections at Architekturzentrum Wien, the national architecture museum of Austria, author of recently published Cold War and Architecture: The Competing Forces that Reshaped Austria after 1945 (2020)
Anna Puigjaner – architect, researcher, and editor, co-founder of the Barcelona-based architectural office MAIO, Associate Professor of Professional Practice at Columbia GSAPP, and a recipient of the Harvard GSD’s Wheelwright Prize in 2016
Tadeáš Říha – architect and writer based in London, co-curator of Weak Monument, Estonian Pavilion at the 2018 Venice Architecture Biennale, and Logistics Landscapes, VI PER, 2019, co-editor of Steel Cities: The Architecture of Logistics in Central and Eastern Europe (2019)
Andi Schmied – visual artist and architect based in Budapest, Hungary, author of Private Views: A High-Rise Panorama of Manhattan, published by VI PER Gallery in 2020
The applications must be submitted electronically by February 14, 2021, to the email address firstname.lastname@example.org. In “Subject” of your email, please indicate “Applicantʼs name_Title_VI PER Gallery_Call 2021” (e.g. Peter Nelson_Architecture_VI PER Gallery_Call 2021).
The jury will select one winning project. The results will be available in March 2021.
The winner will consequently closely cooperate with VI PER Gallery staff to develop further the content, format, and related program. The exhibition will be held at VI PER Gallery at the end of 2021.
For additional information please contact: email@example.com.
Gallery space photographs (for more photos visit http://www.vipergallery.org/en/exhibitions)
Samples of exhibition brochures
To save attachments please visit https://bit.ly/3nDqXsQ